Former President Donald Trump’s legal team is considering whether to release the search warrant and inventory of the materialbefore a federal judge rules on the matter, according to a Florida-based attorney for Trump, Lindsey Halligan.
Earlier Thursday, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced that theand related documents, “absentee protest from the former president.” Trump has until 3 pm on Friday to respond.
His legal team is also discussing whether to release videos and photos of the search, Halligan said. Two sources familiar with Trump’s legal strategy said before FBI agents executed the warrant, they requested that Mar-a-Lago’s private security cameras be turned off. Trump’s team refused to surrender.
The US Secret Service, which maintains a permanent presence at the former president’s home, was not a party to the dispute over the cameras because the cameras are owned and controlled by the private club, not the government.
It is unclear what any video that may have been captured by Mar-a-Lago cameras would show. According to Halligan, there were security cameras in Trump’s office, but not in all of the areas that were searched. She also said there are photos of FBI personnel on the grounds.
The former president’s legal team has a copy of the search warrant and a “vague” account of what was taken, according to both sources. The search warrant was described to CBS News by the sources as a “bare bones” document that does not provide much detail about why it was issued or what the FBI requested.
Many items seized in the search were listed as “boxes” or “documents” – for example, “Box 1 – documents.”
The President’s attorneys plan to ask the government to give a detailed account of what was removed, as well as the arguments the government made to the federal magistrate to defend the warrant. So far, Trump’s attorneys are not planning legal action to compel the production of these items.
The government did not provide Trump’s lawyers with the basic affidavit for the search warrant, which is standard practice.
I late night job on his social media site, former President Trump said that he would not oppose the release of the warrant, and in fact he is “PROMOTING the release” of documents related to what he called “the raid and break-in of America, unwarranted and unnecessary. my house in Palm Beach.”